Do you have a basement that is full of boxes and old furniture that you don’t really use anymore? Or does it have old furniture that has been covered up for years? Basements are often one of the most underutilized assets of a home. There is a lot of space in your basement that could add value to your home if used right. And any unfinished room or space in your house is not taking full advantage of the assets your house possesses. Budget constraints usually lead a basement to remain unfinished and sufficiently unused. Here are a few things to consider when remodeling your basement:
- Figure out your exits – There are building codes in place that require a safe exit route, especially if you’re planning on adding a bedroom to your basement. A window that is big enough to climb out of and close enough to the floor to reach is one idea that could satisfy those requirements. Adding a window to your basement will not only provide a safe escape route, but it will add a significant amount of light to your York, PA basement.
- Inspect your basement for water damage – Any water leak or busted pipes can cause serious damage to your basement, but will cause even more heartache if a water leak problem still exists after a Lancaster, PA basement remodeling.
- Know the height of your basement – Most basements have low ceilings and if you’re planning on turning your basement into a living space, you may want to dig down and pour new footing below where your current basement footings are. This will increase the side of your furnished basement and give you more room to transform it into a livable, usable space.
- Consider sound insulation – If you’re making part of your basement into a media room, consider installing sound insulation to keep the noise in your York, PA basement and to keep it from bleeding through the drywall. Using surface mount lights instead of can lights can help reduce noise as well if your ceiling is high enough.
- Be creative – Your York or Lancaster, PA basement can be a blank canvas. Plan out what kind of use you want to get out of it, but don’t be afraid to be a little stylish or to want your basement to serve multiple purposes. Any remodeling you do will add value to your house and usability to your basement. So, let your creativity flow!
If the time for finishing your basement has finally arrived, C.C. Dietz is ready to help! We can transform your unfinished basement into a room the entire family can enjoy. Whether it’s a complete transformation from bare cinderblock walls to a warm, vibrant room – or completing a project that was left unfinished – C.C. Dietz is the answer.
We’ll meet and discuss the project, create a design for your approval, and then begin construction. In no time you’ll have a brand new room to enjoy and you’ll reclaim valuable interior space. Basements are no problem for C.C. Dietz!