Kitchen appliances are not cheap. So it makes sense for homeowners to do everything they can to extend the lives of their appliances. Still, countless homeowners fail to take the necessary precautions and perform even the most routine maintenance on their kitchen appliances.
Luckily, it is never too late to start!
Kitchen Appliance Maintenance Tips
- Clean the Gaskets: For starters, check your gaskets, the flexible seals around the edge of the refrigerator door. If the gaskets are damaged or even sticky, your refrigerator could be using a lot more energy to keep your food cold. To clean your gaskets, use a cloth soaked in warm water and dish detergent. Then dry the gaskets with a towel. And to ensure the gasket is sealing properly, close the refrigerator door on a dollar bill. You should not be able to easily pull the bill out.
- Vacuum the Condenser Coils: Using your vacuum, remove the dirt and dust from the condenser coils beneath the refrigerator. You should do this at least twice a year.
Range and Oven Maintenance
- Clean the Oven: If you have a self-cleaning oven, your job is already done. If you do not, use an oven cleaner to clean the interior and a range cleaner to clean the stove top. Baked on food can be a fire hazard.
- Replace Range Hood Exhaust Filters: If you cook often, it is important to clean or replace the range hood exhaust filters several times per year.
- Clean under the Oven: At least once a year, grab your vacuum and clean next to and under your oven.
- Recoat Dish Rack Tines: If the plastic coating on a dish rack tine wears away, it is important to recoat the tines. Otherwise, rust could result.
- Clean the Spray Arms: Over time, dirt, food, and grime find their way into the small holes of the spray arms. It is important to periodically clean these with a toothpick to ensure your dishwasher is running properly.
If you have any questions or wish to schedule a free consultation, please contact C.C. Dietz by calling 717.755.1921 or visit our website!
We are York’s premiere building contractor!
You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter
C.C. Dietz, Inc. Builders
1890 Mt. Zion Rd.
York, Pennsylvania 17406.
Source: Maintenance Tips for Longer Appliance Life
Tags: building contractor, Dishwasher Maintenance, Kitchen Appliance Maintenance Tips, Lancaster Kitchen Remodeler, Pennsylvania, Range and Oven Maintenance, Refrigerator Maintenance